Capital Metro is seeking public feedback on proposed changes to the transit system that, if approved, would take effect January 15, 2012. Customer input helps Capital Metro fine-tune the proposal and ultimately improve service.

Route 243 was shortened in January 2011 due to low ridership north of Wells Branch, which allowed an improvement in frequency along Wells Branch. The proposed change for January 2012 seeks to realign the route from Thermal and Howard Lane to East Wells Branch Parkway and Heatherwilde improve connectivity to shopping, which has been repeatedly requested by customers. The current schedule has enough flexibility to absorb this service extension without additional resources.

For more information or how to attend a public meeting please visit capmetro.org/changes/jan2012.asp

5 Votes Completed
Default_avatar
Absp x about 6 years ago

Is there any way the evening schedule (i.e. when there are no longer any trains or express buses running) can be adjusted to have 40 minute frequencies rather than hourly frequency? This would make it better matched to the nighttime arrivals of the 1L/1M buses. Have the westbound 243 depart 15-20 minutes after the scheduled arrival of the 1L/1M. This would make the 243 more useful and people don't have to wait 45 minutes for the 243 after arriving on the 1L/1M.

Vote
Default_avatar
Capital Metro admin about 6 years ago

Hi Absp, Improving to 40 minute frequency during the evening is not feasible for January 2012 but possibly in the future with increased ridership. Shifting the #243 schedule is definitely an option. All key connections will be considered in development of the new schedule.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa about 6 years ago

Although it consumes wasted layover time, this isn't the best idea for route 243 due to indirectness. The bus has to go to nowhere before it can get anywhere. If there is reason to extend service farther north, then it should be another route that fills this role, such as 392.

Vote
Default_avatar
Capital Metro admin about 6 years ago

Hi David,

In riding Route 243 discussing proposed changes with customers, Capital Metro staff have learned that most riders are in strong support of the proposed change to improve access to the Wells Branch HEB.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa about 6 years ago

That's an incredible reach you're making to provide service to one grocery store, considering four routes pass directly by a nearer HEB on Parmer and I-35, yet none of them stop there. The closest bus stops on Lamar or on McCallen are more than half a mile away, and Tech Ridge Park & Ride is a 1.2 mile trek.

Vote
Default_avatar
Woodley almost 6 years ago

I agree that the HEB in Pflugervile at I-35 and Wells Branch should be accessible to Cap Metro riders. The current closest HEB directly on the bus line is North Lamer and Runburg. The There is no Bus stop for the I-35/Palmer lane location and there are no cross walks there. The HEB at Mopac/Palmer would require a very large detour to get to.

Vote
Default_avatar
Woodley almost 6 years ago

I would like to propose another thing for the 243 and maybe extend it from Tech Ridge to Pavilion by way of Mc Neil, after the bus reaches the Howard lane Park and ride it should continue on down Howard lane which turns into Mc Neil to 183. This would open up a large residential area  and High school to more ridership on this cross town ride. There is also a YMCA across from the High school on Mc Neil. There would be another HEB on this route at Palmer Lane and Mc Neil.

I would also Propose a Bus route to travel the length of Palmer Lane which is rapidly growing.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa almost 6 years ago

Woodley:

Duval to Amherst to Parmer might make sense (as an added route) in the future, but a good part of McNeil looks like open land to me, and I'm fairly confident that Capital Metro is not able to expand service at the moment. The proposed changes for route 243 do not require any additional vehicles.

Vote
Default_avatar
Woodley over 5 years ago

David:

Duval/Amherst/Palmer is a very large detour for the 243 Riders. The purpose of this is to promote more riderships there for increasing revenue. It does not cost more to alter the 243 route to include the HEB which most if not all of the current 243 rider have to walk to. This convenience will greatly affect the ridership of the 243 bus.

Extending the 243 Route from Techridge to Pavilion would convert the 243 into a cross town Bus which has the potential to further increase ridership of the 243. Currently this requires a very large and timely detour. I actually ride my Bike along this Mcneil route than to go on the huge timely detour which saves me several hours round trip.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa over 5 years ago

Sorry, I meant to propose Duval/Amherst/Parmer as a separate route, one that I think you might find useful, but not one related to route 243 except per the drift of this conversation. (Edited above.)

Vote
Default_avatar
Woodley over 5 years ago

It appears that January 15th, 2012 they are removing the 240 from Duval/Amherst/Palmer and making the Limited Flyer 142 go from Metric -> Lamp Light -> down palmer to Amherst.

I think extending the 243 down Howard to Pavilion and creating a new route makeing a full run down the whole length of palmer lane would help with riderships.

Palmer lane is actually a very busy Highway and can greatly benefit from a transit system. There is also real-estate along this route that can currently be taken advantage of and build a marketplace around a Park & Rides along this route.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa over 5 years ago

FYI the change of service on Amherst Dr. actually occurred one year ago.

Vote
Default_avatar
Maria Ugalde about 3 years ago

Bring back weekend service to Merrilltown please. I do not believe it is too much out of your way. The way it is right now, I have to walk to Wells Branch to catch a but to Tech Ridge so I can catch another bus to church. I am seventy-three. So it is not an easy task for me to walk that far twice in one day. Also maybe you could make the daily runs every two hours instead of every hour. That way we would have service from 8:45 am to 5:45 pm every day. Same number of runs a day.

Vote