Forum: FY2012 Budget

Trimming expenses is essential to keeping Capital Metro operating efficiently. Please share your ideas on how Capital Metro can cut expenses. 

Increased revenue means increased service. So where does our money come from? In this video, Capital Metro CFO Billy Hamilton discusses the big picture of how Capital Metro generates revenue.  After you watch the video, share your creative ideas for how Capital Metro can generate more revenue. 

Lori x over 6 years ago

Reduce number of stops.  Don't have stops so close together.  We are suppose to be an active city, I don't think it's going to hurt anyone to walk a few blocks if they have to pick up the bus......probably be good for everyone to get some more exercise.

Condense administrative positions to reduce overhead costs.  Make employees be more accountable, more motivated, and more quick and efficient in their work.

5 Votes Resolved
Default_avatar
Will x over 6 years ago

I agree.  The frequency of stops is ridiculous.  I also suggest that buses run more frequently during peak hours in the early morning and late afternoons/early evenings on major routes.  Something else I have noticed is the constant changing of bus drivers.  It affects punctuality and reliability because they are unfamiliar with the route.

Vote
Bootstrap_1396804725
Robin x over 6 years ago

This would depend on what route we are talking about--and in what part of the city.

Some routes you have to actually hike to/from your stop to the destination-including those at a State building!! This is not only inconvienient, it is dangerous when talking about riders with mobility impairments, but who cannot get para transit.  These routes need to actually be closer together.

The drivers do need to be more punctual and professional. This is the only city I've ever been in where the drivers can take breaks on an in-service vehicle. They do not notice they have passengers who have paid our fares. But employers and prospective employers notice. Ads not requiring driving and are public transit accessible explicitly mention 'must have reliable transportation' because Capital Metro does allow drivers to take personal time on in service vehicles.

Vote
Bootstrap_2011_june
David Villa over 6 years ago

I would agree with you [Lori] if we're talking about the downtown area, where stops could be planned much more strategically. This would be a huge time saver because of the number of routes that run through downtown. There was an experiment to shut down a couple of stops near 6th, but this should be evaluated up an down Congress at least. You know planning hasn't done a thorough assessment because they haven't even made the detours permanent for some long-running street closures. Maps that are only meant to last a few months do not reflect detours that have been in place for years. Apart from this downtown assessment, there are some places I know of that could actually use an additional stop [per Robin]. Overall I would say that stops should be more consistently spaced.

Vote
Bootstrap_1396804725
Robin x over 6 years ago

I am not necessarily talking about the downtown area. I am talking about north/northwest areas--which can require crossing a multi-lane freeway on foot.

Vote
Bootstrap_1421154971
JohnMichael Vincent Cortez admin over 4 years ago

Transit services are designed to meet various transportation needs. Some of those needs require frequent stops and others do not. See page 12 of our Service Guidelines for more on this issue. http://www.capmetro.org/servicechange.aspx?id=130

Bus stop spacing

Bus stop spacing is based on several factors including customer convenience, ridership demand, and service type. Customer convenience involves a tradeoff between proximity to stops and bus travel time. Closely spaced stops reduce customer walking distance but result in slower bus speeds. Few stops spaced further apart increase walking distance but result in faster, more reliable service. Sufficient ridership demand is necessary to support the investment of stops. Specific service types such as limited stop and express require increased stop spacing to maintain higher speeds, while radial and crosstown services have frequent stops to maximize ridership potential. Stops serving downtown Austin or major activity centers should be spaced at least 800 feet apart. Regular local stops on arterial streets should be spaced every 800-1,200 feet. In suburban and other low-density areas, stops may be spaced over 1,200 feet

Regarding Capital Metro's administrative staffing, our recent labor restructuring resulted in a substantial decrease in administrative positions.

Vote